Even if you don’t care for fish, you’re going to love this. I say this because fish is not my favourite food & I have to say this is super delicious. Light & crispy & essentially battered in grated parmesan. This is one of my quick & easy recipes, not at all fancy. If one chose, one could get fancier with all of it.
If you’re going to serve this with boiled Basmati rice (see suggestions below) then get the rice started first, since it takes exactly 20 minutes to cook. The red peppers can be sautéed at the same time as the fish, in a different pan.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes.
- 2 approx. ½ inch thick fillets of Basa -not too thick, not too thin – fresh or defrosted (or other fairly firm white fish – it needs to hold together & get golden brown without over cooking)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Garlic Plus – or 1 teaspoon chopped or mashed garlic divided into four
- a sprinkle of herbs, oregano &/or basil
- a sprinkle of dried dill weed
- pepper to taste (no salt needed)
- Grated Parmesan
Note: if you’re using Garlic Plus or equivalent, the only herb you will need is the dill.
- Set a fairly thick frying pan with the olive oil & butter to warm on medium heat.
- While the frying pan is warming, on a plate, lightly sprinkle one side of the fillets (slightly damp because you want the herbs & Parmesan to stick) with the Garlic Plus (or a fourth of the fresh garlic), the herb or herbs & a enough grated Parmesan to lightly cover the fillets.
- By this time the pan should be ready. Put the herbed & parmesan covered side down into the frying pan.
- Fry on medium to medium high heat till golden brown. Check that the colour is right before carefully flipping over because it is better not to have to cook the cooked side a second time.
- Once the fillets are done & carefully flip over to the second side
- Sprinkle lightly with the Garlic Plus, herb/s. Sprinkle with enough Parmesan to cover the fillets lightly.
- Fry till the second side is a lovely golden brown .
Serve with plain Basmati Rice topped with butter & grated Cheddar along with lightly sautéed, sliced red peppers with a dash of lemon pepper. Or, if you feel like making it a kind of ‘fish & chips’ night, try the fish with Roasted Potato Wedges & either a green salad or the Strawberry & Red Onion Salad found on this site.