A delicious strawberry, red onion & mixed greens salad with a balsamic herb dressing topped with a sprinkling of Parmesan. Perfect for brunch, sitting in the sun under a patio umbrella. A glass (or two) of Cottonwood Estate’s Pinot Gris, as well perhaps?
Balsamic Herb & Spice Dressing
(makes approx. a half a cup – enough for two small salads or one large one)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3rd cup olive oil
- Mixed greens (amounts can vary, depending on taste)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 1-2 tablespoons of roasted sunflower seeds (other nuts may be substituted)
- Parmesan for topping, either powdered or shaved (whatever is available)
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a bowl. Add the olive oil and mix all ingredients together. Add the balsamic vinegar and mix well till the dressing thickens. There should be enough dressing to make two medium sized salads or one large one.
- In a salad bowl, put in the desired amount of dressing then add the thinly sliced red onions. Mix and let sit for a few minutes. Add the mixed greens and toss well.
- Spread the sliced strawberries on top of the salad and sprinkle with parmesan and sunflower seeds.
- Take it to the table because it looks really pretty like this but give the salad a good toss just before serving.