Delicious, colourful, easy to make and healthy to boot. Beans are low in fat and add lots of flavour and protein to many different dishes and are especially useful for people with allergies to gluten (a natural protein present in wheat, barley and rye). Beans don’t contain gluten.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 dried basil
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 11/2 tsp chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions, including the green tops
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro
- 2 tablespoons of thinly sliced red onion for garnish
- 1 796 ml (28 oz can) each, garbanzo and red kidney beans, drained & rinsed (can substitute other beans)
- Chopped cucumbers, tomatoes or green peppers can also be added for variety and texture
Best if made a some hours before serving.
Combine all the ingredients except the beans and vegetables in a large bowl. Mix well. Add drained and rinsed beans. Mix well. Add the chopped vegetables if desired. Marinate for several hours. Serve undrained. Garnish with thinly sliced red onion and a sprig or two of mint.
Delicious with fresh French bread.